Monday, June 7, 2010

No longer "us" and "them"...but now WE!!

I really can't look at the Ugandans as Ugandans anymore. Yes, I still respect their culture, and yes I know they are different and unique from me...but something has changed within me, and I can't quite explain it. Several months ago, I prayed that the Lord would make me colorblind! I quickly asked for that request back, in order to make it more specific...I wanted to be colorblind to nationalities and races...I wanted to see ALL His People the same color, in the same way, especially the Ugandans! Not see us "whites" and those "Ugandans". I told my roomies to let me know if my clothes started to mismatch because then the Lord really has made me colorblind to everything, hehe :) But, I truly do believe He's changed something inside me...much deeper than I have understanding over or that could actually change in my own strength or power.

It's hard to believe in less than one week I will be boarding a plane to head back to the States. Hard to believe I will be leaving this place I now call home. Hard to believe I will be leaving my roomies and all my Ugandan friends. When I came over here, I knew I would develop friendships, but I never anticipated a close bonding like this!!!

One of the most touching moments this past week for me was with one of my classmates. Over and over I'm learning a valuable lesson that you never know how much the Lord is using you or how the Holy Spirit is working through you...stay fixed and focused on Him and as a yielded vessel and let Him work :) This classmate had me finish lunch real quick and took me in the main church sanctuary (noone is really in there during lunch hour) and he told me that he wrote a song for me. Right before singing it, he looked me straight in the eyes, and said, "Michelle, I don't have money to buy you a nice gift or food or even a card...but I instead, I wrote you this song...".Then he proceeded to hop on the piano to play and sing me the song. It was the sweetest thing...such a form of agape (Godly love). Afterwards, he just told me how much he appreciated me caring about him as a person, how I challenge him in his walk with the Lord, and the way I live my life is such an example to him. Touched me deeply and humbled me completely!! I will forever remember his amazing song...it came straight from his precious heart!

We had our last Living Hope visits this week (HIV affected people in the community that we do home visits to). I'll just give you a brief 5 month time-line recap. So, 5 months ago when we first came to Aisha, she was a Muslim who was very nice, but quiet and reserved. Now, she is a born-again Christian...actually "sold-out" for the Lord!! She attends church every Sunday, small group every week, and has a friend who helps her read and understand the Bible we gave her!! We collected money (amongst ourselves) and bought some basic necessity items we noticed last time that she needed. Then, we spent some time asking her how she was doing, then praying, and worshiping. At the end of the visit, everyone gave her a brief message or word of encouragement. Next, there is baby Ruth. Five months ago, this little 3& 1/2 year old would literally sit so stoic during our entire visit. The most we could get her to say was "hi and "fine" (she understands a bit of English). The other kids in the home interacted more than she did. However, on this visit, we had a "kids party" for all of them. We had party hats, balloons, cookies, cake, soda, and bubbles.
Oh, and this is funny... so, the morning of Living Hope, I had all the things packed to go and also had this small, rubber pink ball to take with us, but wasn't quite sure what we were going to use it for yet. I was running a little late and went rushing into the bathroom to brush my teeth. We keep all of our empty water bottles stacked over in the corner on the cement floor in the bathroom, by the trash can, because the trash can is too small to fit them all. Well, the day before, I was in pretty significant pain from the kidney stones, so I usually increase the amount of water I drink to try and decrease the pain....so there were lots and lots of empty water bottles sitting there. Sooooo, lots of water bottles + Michelle rushing around = Michelle runs into all of them and knocks them all down around the bathroom floor making a loud crashing noise!! Oops! But, God then gave me the funniest idea...bowling with empty water bottles using my small pink ball! Classic and totally TIA :) Guess He really does take pain and suffering and turn it to joy in the morning ;)
Anyways, the kids party was a blast! Baby Ruth jumped into our arms when she saw us, she was talking, and dancing almost the whole time! She LOVED the balloons! I think we blew up about 30 balloons. Picture 30 balloons, 10 of us, the caregiver, and 5 children, sitting in the space literally the size of a bathroom. Ruth was nonstop giggling! She would get 3 balloons in each hand and shake her little hands as fast as she could...giggling the whole time. Wow, a child giggling and laughing...it warms my heart like nothing else can!!!
Finally, there's Samuel. Obviously, as I blogged previously, this precious 17 year old passed away and we attended his funeral about a month ago. However, although we no longer had a "client" to see, we decided to check on the uncle and family, just to see how they were doing. (Ugandans grieving process is very different than American/Western world, however; you never know how the Lord can use you to touch and affect other people...just be open and available!) Unfortunately, the uncle had to leave just before we got there, he got called to an urgent meeting, so we talked and prayed with the wife for a bit and left a card for him.

There is soooo much more happening, I just can't seem to fit it all into one blog :) There's someone I just met at the guesthouse this week, who may be a direct connection and "next step" to my latest vision about the near future (God-ordained appointment!)...I ventured into the slums to have a traditional lunch with some locals this week (awesome, interesting experience!)...having amazing encounters with the Lord (unexplainable experiences!)...unbelievable, memorable conversations with people recently (God appointed and Holy Spirit led!)...and much, much more!!!

Sooooo much to do and so little time left here now!! Trying to pack everything into these last few days.
Christmas Day is approaching....you'll have to wait till the next blog post for my explanation on this one ;)

Love you all!!

Living to know Him more and more,

Michelle


PS The other night the girls couldn't sleep and we had to be up extra early to serve at church the next day (we stay upstairs and the boys stay downstairs all the way on the other side of the guesthouse). So, in our pajamas, we all grabbed our pillows...ran across the guesthouse...and knocked on their door...bombarded their room...and proceeded to make ourselves comfortable for a bedtime story :) They are such good sports!! There's 3 guys...so one started the story and they would take turns telling the story, making it up as they went along. We told them it couldn't be scary...so they started the story in Ponyland...that's no joke...they really are funny and are such good sports...and destined to have lots of daughters :)

1 comment:

  1. I love how He is using you and teaching you and all around you! He is incedible!!!! Love you and can't wait to see you! Truthteller

    ReplyDelete