Sunday, May 16, 2010

Never Known Love Like This!!

One of my classmates recently told me he wanted to discuss something with me...about what love really is. WOW! I have no idea where he is going with this and why he wants to talk with ME in particular about it?! However, the Lord has actually really, really been showing and talking to me about what love is!

From being on this trip, I can honestly state, "I've never known a love like this". I'll try to explain why :)

First, God's love for me (and all His People) is just indescribable! I can't say this enough! The ways He provides for us daily, the breath-taking nature we are surrounded by (especially here in Uganda), the giftings and talents He allows us to operate in, the amazing variety of foods he provides us to eat, and all the people He orchestrates for us to encounter on a daily basis!! I can't comprehend how much He loves me (us), but my eyes are opening a bit more to it since being here in Uganda....I've never known a love like this!!

Second, I've never known (or had) a love for His People like this...especially the Ugandans here. I don't care how much of an introvert you are or how hurt you have been by other people...you're not an island that can survive on your own, and God created us for relationship! I just have this outpouring of love for people, even complete strangers!! The best way I know how to explain it is to use an example with my car gas tank :) When I fill up my gas tank in my car, I usually tap it off until I can't fill anymore....I fill it completely, actually I fill it past the "F" mark, I fill the "extra" overfill space too. I have no idea how much gas is held in that space (what can I say, I'm a girl, hehe), I just know there is quite a bit because it lasts a while :) This is the best way I can explain my love for His People...it's all contained in this "overfill space" and once I pour it out (or use it) on His People and the gauge needle moves down to the "F" line or a little lower...the Lord fills me up to overflowing again!! I'm constantly sharing/showing love to others from out of my overflow space AND the love I give to God Himself is instantly returned back to me, as if it never left "the tank" in the first place...it's an incredible cycle and that's the best way I can explain it! I've never known a love like this!!

BUT, the best way I know to describe true love...ummm are you willing to die for someone? If your mom or dad were being held at gunpoint, would you offer to stand in their place? If your husband or wife were walking in front of a car and about to get hit, would you run in front, killing yourself but saving them? Your best friend is about to be raped and killed, would you stand in their place? Are you willing to take their place and die for someone??? This is love. BUT, true love...true love is being willing to do these things for a complete stranger. Are you willing to die for a complete stranger?? One who is practically killing themselves on drugs and alcohol or who is stealing, committing adultery, gossiping about you, mocked you for your entire life....would you be willing to die for any of them? Jesus was AND did! ("But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:While we were still sinners, Christ died for us". Romans 5:8) Now that's true love! Ultimate love! Perfect love! That's the love that flows thru me and to His People! Meet my Jesus, who is all I need and more than enough for me. Christians who are reading this blog know and experience this love I'm talking about. However, if you've never known my Jesus, but are curious about Him and His Love....I'll be home in 4 weeks...let's talk...I can make us some amazing African tea and we'll chat :)

Now, to talk about the past 2 weeks....spent 1&1/2 weeks in village and a couple days in Gulu (northern Uganda)!

We did trauma counseling for the kids in the village (around 350 kids). It was pretty challenging for me, because my group was challenging; it was difficult getting them to open up and talk (I ended up not being a leader of a group because our director wanted to take some pressure off of me because I was in severe pain from kidney stones just days before going...I think I would have been fine leading, but that's ok!). But, I'm going to spend some one-on-one time with a few of them, and believe the Lord is going to work some healing and trust building through it. However, what I gained most was actually the village experience...living in the "difficult" conditions, living with Ugandans, and being around my Ugandan classmates 24/7! I actually was put in a home with one of the other muzungus (which was a blessing) to venture with no electricity, no hot showers, a more primitive setting, together. I'll share some questions we whispered back and forth the past 2 weeks:

"So how do we brush our teeth...there's no sink??

"Wow, putting in contacts in the dark using a flashlight and compact makeup mirror...this is a first...should I try to audition for you've got talent??

"The mosquitoes here must be fed some kind of toxic growth hormone...they are huge and can bite you from any angle...watch out!"

"(after using the hole-n-the-ground toilets)...ok I stepped in something, I don't know what it was, I don't want to know...will someone please just clean my shoes for me?"

"I just hand-washed my clothes this weekend and I still smell like cheesy feet...why do I always smell like cheesy feet??? This is disgusting!"

"(all the doors and windows stay open during the day. We were having afternoon tea and I'm sitting facing the door.) Steph, look.... (there was a chicken walking right past the door with a rope around it's foot)....well, there goes dinner, TIA"

Our home had "a mom" (not biological because these are all orphans), and 7 teenage girls. The homes all contain 3 bedrooms (1 for the mom and 2 for the kids), a kitchen, dining area, small sitting area, and bathroom. Our mom was soooo sweet and the girls were great. I'll tell you about one of my favorite nights...it was Wed night. We went to small group with one of the teen housemates (it's a youth small group, that's led by a youth as well). So encouraging to see such mature youth and firm in their faith! Later that night, after dinner, 2 of the girls showed us some traditional dancing from their culture. Then, my roomie taught them some freestyle dancing :) This was all done in the dark with a small lantern...sooo cool! I brought the card game, "Slap"...and knew that would be a good tool to help bond timid, shy girls together...and sure enough, it did! Again, with a little light from the lantern, we played Slap...making sure we didn't knock the lantern off the table (those who have played the card game before know what I'm talking about, hehe!!)....we giggled and giggled and giggled...had the best time with my new Ugandan sisters and stayed up way too late ;)

Every afternoon I walked up a huge hill to their sports field and played basketball!! There's a guy in my class who's great at basketball and an excellent teacher...so a group of us would get lessons from him :) Ok, I confess, the first couple days, I spent more time running than I did playing...he's a tough coach and would make us run a certain amount for missed shots or if we did bad in the drills :) I had a blast...played with people from my class and some of the kids from counseling. Mercy (one of the girls from my class who is in a picture on the right) and I called ourselves "M-squared"....neither of us have ever played basketball before and so the 2 M's stuck together and "coach" had a hard time splitting up the "M-squared dream team" ;)

We also spent 2 days in Gulu just visiting the area. (I actually did a medical mission trip there with Dr Vega and we partnered with Watoto Gulu...so being there brought back lots of memories). We visited the church, baby orphanage, a couple IDP camps, did a mini game run safari, saw Murchison Falls, Living Hope Ministry, and we stayed overnight in the same place I did 3 years ago when I came. The same security guard actually still works there and guess what...he remembered me!! We spent about an hour talking and catching up (he is wonderful) and I was SOOOO excited to see him...I can't believe he still works there! I really love Gulu. There's a special atmosphere there. Although there was an insane war terrorizing people just 5 years ago, there's now a sweet peace. Although I know people are still hurting and left traumatized and much healing and restoration is still needed...they are so friendly and sincerely sweet. We had such a good time there. Most of my classmates have not stayed at an inn nor been on a safari, so it was awesome being around them and their excitement :)

Next week is a little different too...Tuesday my group is venturing to do prison ministry (my first time in a prison EVER) and then the rest of the week we are doing construction building in a Watoto village (and staying in the village again, so more ice cold showers and lantern living!!)

4 more weeks till I leave Uganda!!

Thanks again for reading, this was a long one! As always, thanks for your continued support, encouragement, and love!

Living to know Him more and more,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment